Friday, September 3, 2010

Brevig Mission- Part I

Finally- I know.
 I loved my time in Brevig and all the people I met there. Below are some pictures of the Berry picking and ATV riding outings.

Can someone tell me why the pictures always look so distorted??  Anyway- this is out berrypicking with Brenda (the girl in the picture) and Kim (the NP). They have blackberries (which are literally black-berries not what you typically think of when you hear "blackberries". They are about 1-3 cm diameter and are shaped like a blueberry. There are also blueberries, but those are harder to find- i think between the bears and the natives they were mostly picked by the time we went out.








If you look closely you can see the black berries. This is what the tundra looks like. Layers and layers of plants on top of each other. You can actually dig in it to find more berries but it can get rough and I wasn't that desperate to find berries. When the natives go out they can pick 1 qt  of berries in like an hour that is crazy fast to me I think I got like 1/4 qt in an hour, but in my defense I probably ate another 1/4 qt during that time too.
.
Here's a tundra mushroom- they are actually really tasty. as long as you get the clean ones

 
And below are pictures of the tundra... and Brevig.
At Sunset (an area to the E of the city)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The "mountains" behind the clinic. See how there are no trees- Thats the main difference I've noticed between brevig and Unalakleet.
This is Brevig. The only 2 story building is the school. Unalakleet has a lot more taller buildings. I think that is why it seems so much bigger (and easier to get lost in- not that i'm saying I have...I've just taken some extra long walks)

No comments: