Thursday, September 2, 2010

'Camp'

I love how fake this looks.
I know, I'm wierd.

It reminds me of the edge of serenity.

So serene now but on the edge of an overflowing dam that could break at any minute and open a flodgate of rough tough alaskan weather.

Back to the real world.

There are so many parts of Alaska I love, but the part I love the most is the people- the natives in particular- and their culture and history to be more specific.

A little background first.

Subsistence. It's a HUGE part of native survival and their history.
When I use subsistence though, it's not the general definition of "barely managing to stay alive. It has to do with their hunting and gathering lifestyle.
They are allowed to catch all the fish, kill all the game, pick all the berries, and harvest all the onions and mushrooms they need to support their family (and extended family) but they are not allowed to sell any of it. (they can barter for other things with it though).

This means every spring/summer/fall time a lot of their time is spent doing all those things to get, prepare and store up food for the winter.
That is where 'camp' comes in. Every family has a "camp". which is basically a spot of the river, sound, or other shoreline that they use as a base to launch from, fish from, etc and as a place to prepare the things they've caught. There are little "huts" dotted all along the shorelines.
I saw this in Brevig:
And I see it here in Unalakleet:



















I also have a few more pictures of the beach that I didn't post before.

<-- It wasn't intentional, but I think it's kinda unique that the focal point became the bird flying away.


"The point" -->

No comments: